What you’ll find below are what we consider a top selection of nutritional information from across diverse theories. Here at The Institute for the Psychology of Eating we do not endorse or promote any particular diet, or eating theory. We often find that there’s something of merit in every nutritional theory, and we encourage you to explore and experiment until you find a way of eating that makes you feel your absolute best. These nutrition sites each align with different aspects of our philosophy and so we offer them to you for education purposes, and to support your ever changing nutritional journey. The list below is not in a particular order but they’re all ranked highly in our eyes!
Been selected? Want to share this badge on your website?
Just copy and paste the code below!
<a href="http://psychologyofeating.com/100-best-nutrition-2013/" target="_blank"><img class="alignnone" alt="top100-nutritionwebsites2013" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/IPE-blog-badges/top100-nutritionwebsites2013.png" width="230" height="230" /></a>
1. The Perennial Plate – This is not your typical Nutrition site, but a full-on sustainable eating experience. This is livable nutrition knowledge: an online weekly documentary series with Chef and Activist, Daniel Klein, exploring “adventurous eating” and “the wonders, complexities and stories behind the ever more connected global food system.”
2. Sean Flanagan Health & Nutrition – Sean Flanagan’s work as a wellness and nutrition coach is inspired by the idea that human beings are not fundamentally flawed. Sean’s no-nonsense approach to guiding clients towards truly nourishing diets and lives is refreshing — and does not require following 10,000 “food rules”.
3. The Kind Life – The Kind Life is an interactive extension of Alicia Silverstone’s book, The Kind Diet, which is about living your healthiest and happiest life to the fullest, while taking care of mama Earth at the same time! It’s a great place to start for those interested in Veganism and Macrobiotics. Perhaps the Kind Life will spark the inner superhero in you!
4. 180DegreeHealth – Matt Stone – Matt Stone, a health researcher extraordinaire with a goofy streak and a huge following, maintains 180DegreeHealth. There’s quite a variety of videos, tips, e-books and other helpful advice that will make think twice about your relationship with food. He specializes in Metabolism.
5. Cate Shanahan MD – Dr. Cate Shanahan is a family physician with an interest in biochemistry, genetics, ethnobotany, and traditional foods. Her writings, including her books and blog posts, draw the lines for readers between food and beauty and genes and health.
6. Chris Kresser – Chris Kresser is an acupuncturist and integrative medicine practitioner who recognizes that every one of his patients have a biological uniqueness. His blog posts, which cover topics such as what to eat before you ever consider having a baby and how to eat a Paleo diet that is right for your body, are well thought out and convincing.
7. Corinne Dobbas – Corinne Dobbas is a Registered Dietician who helps women achieve their health and life goals. Corinne’s work combines her commitment to scientific research with her belief that every woman wants to, can, and should feel beautiful and inspired.
8. Food Babe – Vani Hari teaches people how to live an organic lifestyle no matter where they live in this over-processed world. Vani’s investigates what is really in our food supply and then shares this information with others so that they too can make informed purchasing decisions in the grocery store aisle.
9. Dr. David Katz – David Katz, MD, is the founding (1998) director of Yale University’s Prevention Research Center Dr. Katz has been extensively involved in medical education. He was a founding director of one of the nation’s first combined residency training programs in Internal Medicine and Preventive Medicine
10. David Jubbs – Dr. David Jubb a nuerobehavioral physiologist, a Shaman in the Native American Toltec tradition, one of the world’s top naturalists, and an expert in nutrition. The workshops he conducts around the world on cleansing, vitality, diet, and fitness are eye-opening and life-changing.
11. Two Blue Lemons – Two Blue Lemons is written by Sarah Waldman, a health coach who is committed to helping others enjoy a diet made up of whole, real foods. Her nutritional insight is refreshing and her recipes are delicious!
12. David Wolfe’s The Best Day Ever – David Wolfe empowers and inspires people to take charge of their own health because, after all, Health is Wealth! With over 16 years of dedicated experience and understanding of the inner workings of the human body, walking the road to higher and higher levels of natural beauty, vibrant health, and peak-performance. His fan base includes Woody Harrelson, Justin Bua, Mix Master Mike, Mr. Wiggles, Bryce Dallas Howard, John Assaraf, Anthony Robbins, Angela Bassett, and many others.
13. Dr. David Ludwig – Dr. David Ludwig is a pediatrician, endocrinologist, and professor who studies how food affects hormones, metabolism, and body weight regulation. Dr. Ludwig is also a committed advocate for policy changes that will restrict junk food advertising directly to children and improve the overall quality of school lunches.
14. The Daily Lipid - Chris Masterjohn has quite the reputation. He researches the history and health giving properties of Traditional foods and relays them to a broad audience. He also regularly contributes to the Weston A. Price Foundation website and you can find some of his articles there.
15. Nourished Kitchen – A labor of love, Nourished Kitchen’s goal is to promote sustainable agriculture and nutrient-dense, whole foods in everyday kitchens. The focus here is on whole, unrefined foods prepared according to traditional methods that optimize nutrient density. Cherish your body, nourish your kitchen.
16. Donna Gates - Donna Gates, is the international best-selling author of The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity, The Body Ecology Guide to Growing Younger: Anti-Aging Wisdom for Every Generation, and Stevia: Cooking with Nature’s Calorie-Free Sweetener. A fellow with the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, she’s on a mission to change the way the world eats. The Body Ecology Diet was the first of its kind—sugar-free, gluten-free, casein-free, and probiotic rich.
17. Eat Well – Eat Well Guide is a free online directory for anyone in search of fresh, locally grown and sustainably produced food in the United States and Canada. The Guide’s thousands of listings include family farms, restaurants, farmers’ markets, grocery stores, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs, U-pick orchards and more.
18. Eat Wild - Eat Wild is a directory of sustainably-raised meat, poultry, dairy, and eggs. Eatwild provides research-based information about “eating on the wild side.” This means choosing present-day foods that approach the nutritional content of wild plants and game—our original diet. Evidence is growing on an almost daily basis that these wholesome foods give us more of the nutrients we need to fight disease and enjoy optimum health.
19. Josh + Jeanne Rubin’s EastWest Healing + Performance – Josh and Jeanne Rubin are all about helping people to help themselves. They run a practice in Carlsbad California but also have a incredible long-standing YouTube Channel with great nutrition and over all health topics. Definitely worth a look!
20. Kris Carr - You know who Kris Carr is by now don’t you? The sparkling jewel of positive plant-centered living – a wellness activist and cancer survivor, who explores the deaoth of disease and healing. She documented her battle against epithelioidhemangioendothelioma in her documentary film Crazy Sexy Cancer.
21. Eat Simply – Ayla Withee, MS, RD, LDN is currently a candidate for a Master of Science in Health Communication from Boston University. In addition, Ayla holds is certified in
Pediatric and Adolescent Weight Management. She is an active member of both the American Dietetic Association and the Massachusetts Dietetic Association.
22. Empowered Sustenance - Lauren of Empowered Sustenance offers healing recipes and tools for grain-free, real food living. She’s on a mission to heal her body with food and
living a chemical-free lifestyle, and exploring mind-body medicine.
23. Fanatic Cook – Fanatic Cook is a great educational resource for a whole-foods, plant-based diet. While largely anonymous, the blog sparks healthy, research based conversations – definitely worth checking out!
24. The Fat Nutritionist – Want to shake up your world? Then you need to check out Michelle Allison’s nutritional approach. She’s understands that fat is not a morality pedestal, it’s just a word. She’s worked with all kinds of people seeking nutritional guidance – helped teach people how to feed themselves when their only option is through a tube, how to eat for an insulin pump, what to expect from chemo, and how to cope with new physical realities.
25. Food Renegade – Kristine Michaelis is a wife, homeschooling mother, and a nutrition-wellness coach. FR is where she chronicles her passion to educate the masses about “real food”. Greatly influenced by the research of Sally Fallon, Weston A. Price, Michael Pollan, and agrarian poet Wendell Berry – Food Renegade is a worthy discovery for real food foodies. Also make sure to check out her weekly blog carnival – Fight Back Fridays!
26. The Gerson Institute – The Gerson Institute is a non-profit organization in San Diego, CA, dedicated to providing education and training in the Gerson Therapy, an alternative, non-toxic treatment for cancer and other chronic degenerative diseases. They have great tips on health, the power of juicing, and an active blog.
27. Healthy Home Economist – Sarah of The Healthy Home Economist has traveled around the world as an advocate of traditional diets. She’s been featured on nightly news, The Huffington Post, Dr. Mercola, Infowars, Prison Planet, and many others. If you’re interested in traditional or ancestral diets, this is great place to educate yourself!
28. JJ Virgin - JJ is recognized as the go-to weight loss expert who can unlock the door to lifelong weight management through her sensible, no-fail approach to nutrition and fitness.
29. Joseph Mercola - This is one of the most popular and controversial nutrition sites on the web – Dr. Mercola’s mission is to educate and provide simple inexpensive tools to help limit or avoid expensive and potentially dangerous drugs and surgery.
30. Jon Gabriel - Jon has an incredible story to tell –in particular, that chronic weight gain is often caused by physical, emotional, or environment triggers that are confusing your body on a biological level. The Gabriel Method explores a holistic approach to weight loss that can turn off your FAT programs and transform your body & life forever. Makes sure to watch his transformational videos on youtube!
31. Kathie Swift – As a leading educator, innovator and practitioner in the field of integrative nutrition, Kathie was recently named by Today’s Dietitian as one of the top Registered Dietitians in the country who are “making a difference”. She’s also the co-director, curriculum designer, and faculty advisor for Food As Medicine, a professional training program sponsored by The Center for Mind Body Medicine, and author of The Inside Tract: Your Good Gut Guide to Great Digestive Health.
32. Lighten Up! – Lighten Up! is a nutritional program that offers a unique approach to weight loss. Based on the premise that diets don’t work, Lighten Up! takes the emphasis off of food and concentrates instead on behaviors.
33. Mark Hyman – Mark Hyman, MD has dedicated his career to identifying and addressing the root causes of chronic illness through a groundbreaking whole-systems medicine approach known as Functional Medicine. He is a family physician, a five-time #1 New York Times bestselling author, Chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine, Linus Pauling Award recipient, and an internationally recognized leader in his field – check out his incredible articles and videos!
34. Mark Bittman – Mark Bittman is a revered and well-known food writer who has written for the New York Times for over 13 years. Mark has also published a number of popular cookbooks, including his latest which spells out how to cook, eat, and keep a pantry for following a vegan diet every day before 6PM.
35. Mindful Nutrition Seattle – Minh-Hai Alex is a registered dietitian and certified health and wellness coach with a passion for turning people on to eating in a way that feels good physically, mentally and emotionally. There is no dieting, guilt, or deprivation involved in Minh-Hai’s work, instead she encourages her clients to find and honor their intuitions.
36. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride – Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride believes that there is a direct link between learning disabilities, poor quality food and drink, and the condition of our digestive system. Therefore, she has developed a comprehensive protocol for healing and cleaning the gut that is known as the GAPS or the Gut and Psychology Syndrome nutritional program.
37. Nora Gedgaudas – Nora Gedgaudas is a Board-Certified nutritional consultant who specializes in educating others about the Paleo diet. Nora’s work includes a very popular podcast and a book that explains how your body and brain actually work using evolutionary science as a framework.
38. Nutrition Facts – Dr. Michael Greger is a physician, author, and professional speaker who stays on top of all of the latest, hot-off-the presses nutrition research. Through the work of the Jesse and Julie Rasch Foundation, Dr. Greger is able to share this nutritional information with readers who want to know what diet can do to help prevent and treat poor health.
39. Nutrition Intervention – This blog won’t tell you what to eat – but how to think. With your stomach. Now that’s some body wisdom! Sometimes it’s what’s behind the food that matters. Alan’s here to report it.
40. Paleo Mom – Sarah Ballantyne writes about the science behind the Paleo diet, as well as how to practically implement a Paleo lifestyle when raising a family. A number of Sarah’s posts also highlight how modifications made to a Paleo diet and life can be transformational for individuals living with autoimmune conditions.
41. Primalmeded – Anastasia Boulais works full-time as physican and part-time as a health and fitness junkie. Anastasia’s blog explores the areas where evolutionary medicine, ancestral health, and primal diets intersect with conventional medical wisdom.
42. Precision Nutrition – The Precision Nutrition team includes some topnotch experts in the fields of nutrition, fitness, and human performance. In addition to offering research-based nutrition coaching, the team also writes an excellent blog full of tips for training and eating well.
43. Sean Croxton – Sean Croxton is passionate about finding the root causes of disease through his work as a functional nutritionist. Sean strives to educate his clients about the process of healing, as well as help them identify and repair the malfunctions in their bodies that are leading to poor health.
44. Walter Willett – Dr. Walter Willett is an expert researcher and professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Willett’s work has been dedicated to developing methods to measure dietary intake in large populations including questionnaires and biomedical tests for plasma and toenails.
45. Evolvify – Andrew Badenoch is the voice behind Evolvify, a website that explains why it is important to remember that humans are adapted to foods and environments in which our species evolved. While much of the paleo movement focuses on diet, Andrew’s writings also explain how paleo logic combines with psychology to explain human behavior.
46. Gnolls – J. Stanton writes Gnolls in order to “reclaim our evolutionary heritage as humans”. This site includes information about the benefits of eating a paleo diet, but also goes beyond a discussion of recipes and presents the paleo lifestyle in a way most of us have not considered yet.
47. Paleo for Women – Paleo for Women is written by Stefani Ruper who advocates for evolutionary perspective for health. Stefani writes about the links between female health and diet and encourages women to eat a diet that works with her body instead of against it.
48. Healthing You – Alicia’s subdued and absolutely lovely plant-based recipe blog is filled with nothing but nutritious, wholesome food for those wishing to thrive towards a lively and healthy lifestyle. Wait till you see her Fudgey Black Bean Brownies!
49. Maya Nahra – Maya Nahra is a behavioral nutrition expert who helps people shift their dieting mindset. Her work as a coach, speaker, and blogger is especially suited for folks who have been stuck in a rut of yo-yo dieting for years.
50. First Step Nutrition – Jennifer House a Registered Dietician and mom of two who founded First Step Nutrition, a nutrition practice for pregnant and postpartum women, babies, and young children. Her work and website are an excellent resource if you are wondering what to eat during pregnancy or how to get your toddler to eat more green vegetables.
51. Daniel Vitalis – Daniel Vitalis teaches an approach to living that helps people get in touch with their instincts and inner wisdom. Daniel is also the founder of FindASpring.com, a resource helping people find fresh, clean, wild water and of SurThrival.com, a brand pioneering a lifestyle of healthy adventure.
52. Ancestral Nutrition – Having worked as a certified health coach since 2011 -Dani specializes in eating whole, unrefined foods in order to achieve wellness. What we eat determines how we look, how we feel, and whether or not we will develop diseases. While a fan of bioindividuality, Dani believes that, as we are all still human, we all have vitamin and mineral needs, and our bodies will deteriorate if they are not met. In short: If your great, great grandmother didn’t eat it, you probably shouldn’t either.
53. Weighty Matters - Yoni Freedhoff is a family practice doctor, professor, and founder of Ottawa’s Bariatric Medical Institute, a multidisciplinary, evidence-based nutrition and weight management center in Canada. Yoni writes about nutrition through the lens of politics, big business, family medicine, and the health of the next generation.
54. Medicinal Nutrition - Jennifer Leigh Burnett is a Certified Health Coach, author, speaker and wellness expert. She works with women to help them balance their Glow, Flow and Hormones with food. Her holistic approach to wellness integrates both modern and traditional philosophies and examines all of the things that feed our lives. Check out her Thyroid Makeover!
55. Lifeseeds Nutrition/ The Nutritionist’s Dilemma – Elyn Zimmerman received her degree in Nutrition from Cornell University and her Health Education Certification from the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health. She is a nutritionist committed to helping mere mortals with the colossal task of developing a peaceful relationship with food and eating. She is sympathetic to the vagaries of how and why we eat; and honors the personal in a world of generalities. She blogs about the conundrums that confound this experience– in hopes of helping others to be kinder and gentler with themselves.
56. Dr. Neal Barnard – Neal Barnard, M.D., is a clinical researcher, author, and health advocate. He has been the principal investigator or co-investigator on several clinical trials investigating the effects of diet on health. He is the author of dozens of publications in scientific and medical journals as well as numerous nutrition books for lay readers and is frequently called on by news programs to discuss issues related to nutrition, research issues, and other controversial areas in modern medicine.
57. Michael Murray, MD – For the past 30 years, Dr. Murray has been compiling a massive database of original scientific studies from the medical literature. He has personally collected over 60,000 articles from the scientific literature, which provide strong evidence on the effectiveness of diet, vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other natural measures in the maintenance of health and the treatment of disease.
58. Vidya Cleanse – Claire Ragozzino is a certified yoga instructor and holistic nutrition educator. With a passion for cooking, travel and soul-connecting conversation, Claire created Vidya – a space to share plant-based recipes, advice and stories that inspire holistic wellness. Really lovely recipes, lovely instructions on eating for health!
59. Hunt Gather Love – Melissa McEwen describers her blog’s mission as Eat traditional food, enjoy life. She’s been vegan and paleo and came out the other side of both of them. She writes about the intersection between evolutionary biology and food in a practical and grounded way.
60. Balanced Bites - This an incredible great resource! Diane is a Holistic Nutritionist specializing in Paleo nutrition, blood sugar regulation, food allergies/intolerances and digestive health. Diane Sanfilippo is the author of the 29-week NY Times bestselling book, “Practical Paleo” and “The 21-Day Sugar Detox.”
61. Nu Roots Nutrition – Nu Roots is devoted to teaching whole foods nutrition in an easy, friendly, non-intimidating way. Samantha Peris continually strives towards achieving optimal health and encourage her lovely followers to do the same. She is a self-described superfood mama, health food nerd, raw chocolate lover, and natural health advocate – and her website is fantastic – don’t miss out on this great nutritional perspective!
62. Pamela Malo – Pamela Malo weaves together her trainings in dietetics and yoga and her love of travel to create her own approach to eating well, feeling well, and living well. We especially like that she promises to help clients move from being “nutra-confused” to being “nutra-confident”!
63. Eat Without Guilt – Dinneen of EWG is not like other nutritionists … After close to 20 years of failed dieting, calorie counting, and crushing self-hate, she finally lost weight and kept it off through discovering some pretty counter-intuitive practices. Turns out, nourishment is not just about what you put in your mouth!
64. Ellyn Satter Institute – The Ellyn Satter Institute is named for Ellyn Satter, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Family Therapist and internationally recognized authority on eating and feeding, who pioneered the Satter Feeding Dynamics Model and the Satter Eating Competence Model. She is the author of the Division of Responsibility in Feeding, which is the gold standard for feeding children.
65. The Sustainable Dish – This is a fantastic resource for people looking to explore which foods are the best choice, not only for optimal human health, but for the well being of animals and the earth; those who are involved in hunting-foraging and harvesting-producing the foods that feed us, and the most sustainable methods to do so.
66. The Rebooted Body - Welcome to the intersection of unconventional nutrition and modern psychology. Discover how to reprogram your body and mind for sustainable fat loss, vibrant health, and peak performance. Check out their blog, podcast, and online programs. They’re here to help you reconnect with the power to reprogram your own mind and body. But also begs the question: “why wasn’t it programmed correctly from the beginning?”
67. Raise Healthy Eaters – Maryann Jacobsen is a registered dietitian, family nutrition expert, and mother of two. Before delving into child nutrition, she worked at nursing homes, hospitals and counseled adults in improving their eating habits. Here, she quickly learned that people’s eating habits are shaped early on, not just with what they were fed — but how.
68. Motive Nutrition – Motive Nutrition is a Montreal-based wellness company, specializing in nutrition coaching, online wellness programs and healthy workshops and events. The Motive Nutrition blog provides recipes, cooking how-tos, nutrition knowledge, actionable wellness strategies and motivation to help you get back to basics in the kitchen, eat real good food and take charge of your health.
69. Divine Health From the Inside Out – Lydia started this blog to log her journey with food and evolving food philosophies, along with her own personalized recipes. Along the way, she found herself shifting over to a more traditional, real foods way of eating, and so began incorporating the most natural, organic, nature-intended foods possible. All with the purpose of leading a more nourishing life!
70. Nutritional Sciences – Nutritional Sciences has been providing nutritional blood analysis services and helping individuals take control of their health for over 20 years. They started out doing only Microscopic analysis work, and added further diagnostic and therapeutic services, such as Iridology, Blood Typing and Nutritional Consulting over the years. In 2012 they began providing nutritional services and products at a new location, and have plans to continue expanding and growing these services in the future.
71. The Clutch Society – A truly unique approach to learning more about nutrition and the body. Leigh Peele is a trainer, author, and coach to those who wish to embark on a greater future for their lives. At the forefront of this is physical transformations, and fat loss. But she also recognizes that there are many layers and levels to this process, ranging from eating more, and body acceptance, to redefining one’s self worth and life goals. Leigh is out to help others achieve their goals and dreams.
72. Stir It Up – Healthy eating is a journey and our diet is constantly evolving. It’s not about one diet or fad, it’s about what works for us and what makes us feel good and keeps us well. This is what Landria Voigt has realized through her study of nutrition. By changing her own diet, she beat a supposedly incurable autoimmune disease. She’s truly passionate about helping you and your family experience health and vitality!
73. Eat Cleaner - Eat Cleaner is about enjoying cleaner, safer, fitter food with nutritious, safe choices that nourish your body. They offer up the tools and bite size bits you need to succeed! They’re here to fix mealtime! The first step to eat clean is EAT CLEANER. EAT CLEANER® is the savvy way to enjoy safer, cleaner, longer lasting fresh food – the way nature intended.
…. and more to come!
We’re almost there but we need your help to complete the list!
Know websites and blogs that focus on Nutrition? Let us know!
© Institute For The Psychology of Eating, All Rights Reserved, 2014